In business, there are a lot of statistics and criteria that determine the quality of services. In many cases, the deciding factor in choosing a partner is the price. However, in the field of logistics, reliability is the most important indicator. That is why today we decided to discuss the risks and how to avoid them with an insurance expert – Oleg Kachenyuk.
– Oleg, first of all, tell us what is insurance?
– Insurance – is such a type of activity that will protect your cargo in case of occurrence of certain events
– What kind of events are these and what can insurance cover?
– Unfortunately, such events are always not the most pleasant: fire, natural disaster, vehicle accident, damage during loading and unloading of goods, theft and other illegal actions of the third parties. Believe me, in the 21st century, clients still often suffer from the same pirates or just road thieves. But insurance covers such incidents.
“Does this apply to any cargo?”
– Yes, having received the necessary information and description of the characteristics of the cargo, it will not be difficult to insure it.
– Tell us, please, with what cases did you face with in practice?
– Typical insurance cases are: tsunami, damage to lose rain, crash. There was also a precedent in the auto-delivery of goods from Ukraine to Italy, on arrival at the unloading site of the driver, the Italian mafia took away the contents of the truck and the local authorities refused to deal with it.
– Very unpleasant and terrible situation for all participants of the transaction, and what to do in such cases?
– If you insured the cargo and the insurance event has already come, the insurance company will make a full payment and will take on the decision of routine issues. And if not – then it is worth considering: is the risk comparable with the small payment that the insurance company requests? Are your nerves worth a payment of 100$? What is this compared to the cost of the goods? And remember: it happens that during 3 years, there were no difficulties or problems while delivering goods, and one day your cargo will burn?! Or it will be taken away on the highway by the Italian mafia.
– Tell me, if I’m sure that the consignor conscientiously delivers the goods to the country of destination, but I do not completely trust the employees at the airport of arrival, for example, how to be in this case?
– Yes, of course, it’s just a matter of what stages you want to insure the cargo and from what moment the insurance protection begins to operate. This can be any point: loading in the dispatching warehouse or at the airport of arrival, or from the moment of departure of the goods from the point of optation or a full cycle to your door. The insurance contract can provide for coverage of risks from any moment.
– And how much is insurance in Ukraine?
– As we have already discussed, in comparison with calmness, insurance is not so expensive. The average tariff is 0.12-0.2% of the value of the cargo.
– How different is the insurance culture in Europe and in Ukraine?
– In our country, the culture of insurance is very low, people are counting on luck. In Europe, any insurance is included in the budget of the enterprise, family and any person on an equal basis with the costs of food, transportation, clothing, communication. People do not know how to not feel safe. And at the same time, they are sure that in the event of an insured event, the company will make a full payment and take upon itself the decision of routine issues. In our country there are unscrupulous insurance companies. However, we and our partners have been on the insurance market for more than 10 years and guarantee, if not the safety of the cargo, then the full compensation in the event of an insurance event.
– Oleg, thank you for the detailed answers to such pressing questions.
– Julia, always glad to help and advise you and your customers.
Interview with insurance expert – Oleg Kachenyuk.